Healthcare’s leading fully-integrated mapping,
Hospital visits can be stressful even under the best of circumstances. When someone is dealing with a new diagnosis or worrying about a loved one’s condition, the last thing they want is to wander into the wrong section of the hospital or show up late to an appointment after misreading a map. Hospitals can be intimidating to patients, they often have to traverse multiple floors, wings, buildings and parking lots. Sometimes, these can span across several city blocks and demand a certain level of familiarity to navigate.
Many physicians attribute a significant percentage of the 6.9 million missed hospital appointments every year to difficulty navigating the facility. Each of those missed appointments can be extremely costly to a healthcare facility.
Fortunately, CenTrak can help. We use advanced IoT technology to provide digital indoor/outdoor wayfinding solutions for hospitals and other healthcare facilities to help streamline facility processes and improve the patient experience. A robust mapping and wayfinding platform with turn-by-turn navigation and highlighted routes makes it easy for patients and visitors to find any office, appointment or inpatient unit within a sprawling hospital campus.
CenTrak is rated 4.2/5 based on 10 reviews on Google and 4.7/5 based on 597 ratings on Featuredcustomers.com.
Digital Wayfinding Solutions
Hospital wayfinding solutions offer a way to guide patients through a facility with the least amount of confusion or frustration. A wayfinding app provides a map of the hospital to the visitor’s smartphone, allowing them to navigate the hospital in real time. The technology keeps patients, their caregivers and their visitors safer and happier, which can pay both real and virtual dividends to hospitals wary of receiving negative HCAHPS scores or dealing with the fiscal impact of missed appointments.
CenTrak provides a portfolio of enterprise location services and a sophisticated indoor mapping platform that support unique healthcare applications, including wayfinding solutions. Our phone locating capabilities, Bluetooth low energy (BLE) beacons and embedded BLE devices, can communicate with patients’ smartphone apps to direct them through the facility.
Indoor positioning and mapping solutions help in the complexities of managing multi-building, multi-floor hospital campuses. Facility managers can better understand how their facilities are being utilized, staff are not interrupted with constant directional inquiries, staff, visitors, and patients have easy access to directories, floor maps, parking facilities, lists of local “near me” amenities, and more.
Hospital Wayfinding Software: Key Functionalities
- Seamless connectivity of indoor and outdoor environments with customizable directions, navigation and access routing across campuses, between buildings and back to parking areas/spaces
- Interactive hospital directory with dynamic, turn-by-turn navigation with highlighted route and on-demand location capabilities
- Pathway management includes various routes for guests, employees (with varying degrees of security clearances), handicap routes which avoid stairs, and options for varying weather-conditions that can minimize outdoor travel time
- Informative and flexible Points of Interest (POI) data can include several helpful details such as: categories, contact information, hours of operation, keywords for smart search, descriptions, images, videos and web URLs
- Integration to a robust ecosystem of third-party solution providers including EMR/EHR for personalized appointment information including care plans, questionnaires, and eCheck-in capabilities
- Zones can be identified for geofencing, occupancy analytics, location-based push notifications, and in-app event triggering
- Reporting functionality includes real-time occupancy, dwell times, volume of visits, space utilization rates, historical routing and occupancy heatmaps, and web usage analytics
- Share indoor location with others via text, email, Facebook messenger, etc. while keeping all personal information safe and secure
- Enable staff to locate and navigate to assets including infusion pumps and wheelchairs. With simple visualization of assets on a map and best navigation path to and from each asset
- Customizable indoor mapping and location experience for cohesive branding. Software Developer Kit (SDK) available to integrate mapping and wayfinding into 3rd party apps/kiosk
Why Choose CenTrak?
CenTrak provides efficient location services that can deliver outstanding value to hospitals. Leveraging Bluetooth technology, existing hardware infrastructures, and powered by Google Maps, CenTrak delivers a cost-efficient and scalable wayfinding platform.
Our services also lead to a better wayfinding experience. Here are four ways we work smarter.
Reliability –Readable maps and accurate directions need dependable location information to build on. Our equipment supplies condition and status updates regularly, as well as location information. Our tags and other devices use batteries with long lifespans to ensure continued function. CenTrak’s supervised platform allows ongoing management and maintenance of indoor positioning system infrastructure. Easily manage and oversee coverage areas, battery statuses, and more.
Cutting-Edge, Multi-Mode Technology –We rely on a combination of technologies to improve return on investment, such as Wi-Fi, Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE), Active UHF RFID, Second Generation Infrared (Gen2IR), GPS, Ultrasound, Passive RFID, Low Frequency (LF), and others. This allows facilities to scale and grow with their system as their needs change. Wayfinding applications are available on several devices including web browsers, mobile phones/tablets and facility digital displays (kiosks).
Ease of Installation – Hospitals and healthcare facilities need location services they can implement without hassle. Our battery-powered devices can be placed in patient care areas without any special infection control measures. There are no intrusive or bulky devices to interfere with patient care. CenTrak’s compact, user-friendly devices can fit safely and unobtrusively into patient rooms, waiting rooms, hallways and wherever a medical facility needs to direct its visitors.
Interoperability – CenTrak’s platform can work with a variety of existing applications, such as those that monitor hand hygiene compliance, capacity management, electronic health records and more. Integrating hospital wayfinding solutions with other healthcare data into one overarching system helps provide robust data/analytics, easier maintenance and updates, and a more comprehensive/enhanced patient and staff experience.
CenTrak is proud to be a provider of accurate, reliable Enterprise Locating and Sensing Services™ for healthcare facilities all around the world. Below is a list of our most recent awards. We are pleased to be recognized by some of the top healthcare and technology organizations.
KLAS #1 Rated Category Leader
for 3 years in a row
Awarded Deloitte Tech Fast 500
for 3 years in a row
50% of Becker’s Hospital Review
Top 100 are CenTrak Customers
The Benefits of Using BLE Technology for Indoor Hospital Navigation
While CenTrak offers both standalone BLE beacons and BLE-embedded infrastructure, there are several benefits to leveraging the embedded infrastructure. CenTrak provides the option to license BLE independently from its second-generation infrared (Gen2IR™) and low-frequency (LF) technology, offering advantages for health care organizations that ultimately want to scale wayfinding or asset tracking initiatives to true enterprise visibility. For advanced-use cases that require real-time locating services (RTLS), such as Clinical-Grade RTLS™, healthcare facilities have the ability to leverage the same infrastructure’s WiFi, UHF RF, LF and Gen2IR alongside the BLE technology.
In terms of wayfinding solutions for healthcare facilities, the benefits of choosing CenTrak’s fully-integrated mapping, navigation, & location platform include the following:
- Improving the experience for visitors and patients: Because the hospital experience is inherently stressful, many healthcare providers are eager for any way to enhance the experience of their visitors and patients. Helpful tools like hospital wayfinding apps go a long way toward alleviating that stress and helping visitors and patients feel more comfortable.
- Easing anxieties: Some of the anxiety produced in the hospital setting comes as patients and visitors try to find their way around a complex and unfamiliar facility. In a medical emergency or time of illness or injury, the loss of control many people feel becomes compounded by the lack of control over the environment. Providing clear wayfinding solutions returns some autonomy to patients and their loved ones.
- Decreasing the time staff spends giving directions: Clinical staff and other healthcare professionals are incredibly busy focused on patient care. And the administrative staff members are tasked with scheduling critical appointments, making sure insurance claims are processed quickly and accurately, and performing many other responsibilities that help the facility run smoothly. Making use of wayfinding solutions decreases the amount of time these staff members must spend giving directions, and increases their ability to focus on and complete their work effectively.
- Increasing the number of on-time appointments: Even a small number of late patients can lead to delays and frustration. If the first three appointments are each ten minutes late, the practitioner is already an hour behind even before the morning is half over. Helpful hospital wayfinding apps increase the likelihood that patients will arrive on time. They enable practitioners to see more patients on time and reduce patients’ frustration at having to endure long stretches in the waiting room.
- Providing efficient updates: If a patient has an old map or the medical facility has an outdated directory, patients can easily get lost. But with a digital wayfinding solution, and CenTrak’s robust content management platform, facilities can update system data, facility maps, POIs and routes quickly and easily.
- Increasing the speed of emergency services: When people arrive at the hospital with an emergency, they may waste precious minutes trying to figure out where to go. A hospital wayfinding app can direct them quickly and efficiently to the emergency department to receive aid.
Hospital Wayfinding Best Practices
Want to improve your patient and visitor experience? Here are a few hospital wayfinding best practices to keep in mind. As an industry expert in wayfinding for health care facilities, CenTrak can help boost these best practices and put them into effective action:
- Include appropriate signage or deploy digital solutions such as mobile applications, inviting visitors to understand where they are and where they are heading.
- Rely on color coding to differentiate between different zones of the hospital.
- Employ easy-to-understand symbols to encourage people to navigate instinctively.
- Use non-medical terminology to ensure the audience understands anything the hospital is trying to convey.
- Integrate real-time location services, so visitors can see themselves and also view other activity that may impact their navigation of the hospital, such as a broken elevator.
- Reinforce branding and culture, perhaps with a unifying theme or hopeful message.
- Focus on patient experience by enhancing clarity, readability and an attractive aesthetic.
- Focus on inclusion – make sure people with visual impairments or people who do not own smartphones will still be able to find their way.
Improve Wayfinding for Your Health Care Facility
When you’re considering how to improve wayfinding in your hospital or clinic, trust CenTrak for reliable, user-friendly solutions. Our RTLS services provide pinpoint accuracy, make medical facilities more efficient and cost-effective and increase patient satisfaction. Going to the doctor’s office or hospital can be a challenging experience, but you can make it an easier one by giving visitors and patients the tools for easy, intuitive navigation that quickly leads them to the help they need.
Contact us today to further discuss how CenTrak can help with the implementation of wayfinding solutions in your hospital. Get in touch online, or call us at (215) 860-2928 to request a demo.